Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The faces of Arlo

Yesterday I posed a poll question for you all and I have to admit, I was quite shocked at the results. Usually people are on my side of arguments, especially my mother-in-law, but not this time. The question I posed was if Arlo Jackson was a good name for our baby boy. Currently the standings are 14 no's and 8 yes's. To help persuade those nay sayers, I am giving you all a chance to retract you no answers. To help convince you I have looked up the Arlo's of the world and found 3.


First, Arlo Guthrie. Arlo Guthrie is a renowned American folk musician in the 1960's One of his best known songs is an 18 min 36 second long musical masterpiece called "Alice's Restaurant." I encourage you all to listen. Click Here.
Arlo number two is a War hero from World War II. His name, Captain Arlo Olson. Captain Arlo Olson won the Medal Of Honor "For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty (source: Wikipedia)." Dashing, isn't he?
Finally we come to Arlo number three. For this, Laura and I looked up the popularity of the name Arlo. Currently it is ranked, "Not Ranked" according to www.babynames.com. On this site you can post pictures of your child named Arlo. Here is the one and only Arlo we found.

Well, I hope this help convince you all other wise. So to you 14 people that said no, I hope you leave a comment saying that you retract your no. I will not hold any grudge with those that come forward to admit you were wrong. I am an understanding individual and forgive easy.

9 comments:

leslie cats said...

David this is your mother and I vote NO

Alixa said...

I am still all for it! I think that you two might be the only two people in the world that could pull off naming your child Arlo. I think it is quite cute!

Beck and the boys said...

Sorry Dave, I'm adding my definitive "NO!" and it is not going to change. Even though he won't technically be my nephew, I would consider him as much and unless he is as popular as Zac Efron, I'm afraid he'll be teased constantly.

Amy said...

I will fess up to voting no also, Dave. The reason why I don't love it is because it seems like it is only part of a name... Like Harlow, or Barlow, or Carlos. Not that I'm suggesting any of those names either lol. But they are a little better.

Kathleen said...

Although Arlo Jackson may be cute to you it probably won't be to a 14 year old 9th grader who is in the throws of angst because of teenage hormonal imbalance.

However if you must name him Arlo Jackson please be kind and call him Jack or Jackson. As you know our family has no problem using everybody's middle name and according to my Pediatrician husband the name Jack is making a big come back about now. Jackson has been popular for about 5-6 years now so he will eventually fit right in with his peers.

I suppose that if one of my son's can name a child Alton (which the man, Alton, himself would never allow, then you can certainly append your little cutie with the name Arlo. I would not, however, introduce him to Arlo Guthrie, since he is probably not the role model you would want for your child, and I loved his music.
Aunt Kathleen,
P.S. It is probably best that we not have a DTC VI. Better let the name RIP. (Rest In Peace)

A womb for rent said...

Ok this makes me laugh :) You have to promise me something if you name him Arlo. You can teach him Music but please don't grow his hair out and perm it...lol ( its just not HOT..lol) I think its a name I would not chose but I think your boy will be the cutest thing ever that the name you give him will make the worst name the best. (its not the worst name :))

Jenny said...

I knew the name Arlo would grow on you. With you two as his parents, he could totally grow the sweet Guthrie hairdo!
You could also start a new Cates name to get passed on through the generations.

Tyler said...

6! What what?!?

leslie cats said...

I just found the cutest name as I am working on missionary stuff and I see all sorts of young mens names. How about Phineas