Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Friday, January 18, 2013

First Trip to the ER

We have had a little bit of a disastrous week over here.  It started Monday at 6:00 am while Dave was driving to the gym to get a workout in before work.  When he got there, he discovered that he had a flat tire.  I offered to drive him to work this day, but he said he could change it no problem.  So, on a cold (only 2 degrees!), dark January morning, Dave sat in the parking lot of the gym and changed his tire.  He had to go inside a few times to warm up.  Doesn't sound fun.  When he got to work, he discovered that the spare tire was going flat, so he had to find a place to get it fixed before driving home.  He thought they would be able to get him in and out, but there was a little bit of a wait, so he had me come get him and take him back to work so he didn't take way too long of a lunch.  We decided to get the car inspected while it was already being worked on.  It failed.
A few days later, Dave got pretty sick.  He sat at his desk on Wednesday with his ski coat on all day shivering.  Brady and I also got a little sick, but only Dave ever had a fever.  Mostly just annoying stuffy noses.
On Thursday, I was trying to get Brady to eat lunch.  He pushed himself back all the way in his chair and totally cut his head open on the corner of the wall.  It immediately started gushing blood.  I took him over to the sink and used at least 12 wet paper towels to try and get the bleeding stopped with him screaming the whole time.  After 10 minutes both the crying and the bleeding had stopped, but I could see that it was a pretty deep cut.

I called the pediatrician's office and they couldn't get us in until 3:00 and the appointment was with the PA.  He was a little bit awkward to see.  Within 5 minutes, he confirmed that yes, Brady needed stitches.  He said he was willing to try and do them, but it would be hard with Brady being so wiggly.  He said we could also go to Primary Children's ER so they could sedate him.  Of course, since I was already there and it would save us $200, I just wanted him to do them there.  He came in the room at least 6 times over the next 50 minutes and never actually did anything before he finally said we needed to go up Primary's because he didn't want to traumatize Brady.  Not sure why he didn't tell us that in the first 5 minutes, but whatever.  Brady did like the green "icicle" (otterpop) they let him have there.


 I called Dave to meet us up at Primary's.  We got there just after 4:00.  They took us back to the triage room right away, but that was the only thing that was quick!  





They put this on Brady, not sure if they really thought he would keep it on?





We got back to our room before too long, but then we just waited and waited in the room.  Occasionally someone would come in and ask questions or something, but we were in there 3 hours before they started getting things ready.  I know we weren't priority, there was a girl across the hall with blood everywhere, but it was a really long wait with a 2 year old who hadn't had a nap and would have been fast asleep by 5:30 if we were home!  He also hadn't really had anything to eat since lunch and he kept asking for snacks, but we couldn't give him anything.
About 7:15, they finally came and sedated him so he would be a little bit relaxed.  They still had to restrain him pretty good and had 3 people doing it.  He screamed the whole time, but they said he wouldn't remember it.  They ended up putting 6 staples in his cut!  He was a little bit loony afterward, but he was still obsessed with the lights.  They finally let him eat afterwards.  I had to hold him up for the next 30 minutes or so because he was so wobbly and would have fallen right back down.
Still sedated...but checking out the light above him!
Drinking an orange slushie
We finally got home at 8:15 and put him right down.  He woke up and was raring to go at 2:30 a.m.  I thought he was probably just hungry, so I gave him a snack.  He went back down after that within a few minutes.  Today, he was a little bit fussier than usual but perked up with some pain relief.  He doesn't like to lay back on his head and will say "uh oh" if he does. And no, in case you are concerned, they did not have to shave any of his curls off!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh Laura, how sad! I remember that day when Dave posted he got a flat. I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of this and so glad he is okay!

Natalie and Ryan said...

Ouch, that looks like a really bad cut. It looks like Brady was brave and managed pretty well. You guys had a streak of bad luck. It sounds like you guys have been busy and had a lot going on.