Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Olympian

Dave did his first Olympic distance triathlon on September 8.  That makes him an Olympian, right?  The race was at Yuba lake and we camped out the night before.  Instead of the swim being a mile like it was supposed to, it ended up being 1.6 miles!  Don't know who the idiot setting up that one was.  They blamed it on the buoy floating away.  I was pretty nervous as the time he was in the water kept getting longer and longer than it should have taken him.  Luckily, he came out alive and looking better than he should have with a swim almost twice as long as he was planning on!  The bike was 25 miles, followed by a 10K.  It took him almost 4 hours and he was pretty pooped by the end!  But he did a great job!
Dave's transition area spot
Getting out of the water
Heading off to start the ride
Almost done!
You're awesome Dave!

3 comments:

Rebe said...

I don't get how that happens! Seriously, don't things like that get double checked? Great job Dave!

cameo said...

I agree with Laura. You're awesome Dave!!!

Josh and Kelly said...

I am totally impressed, you've come a long way since that first 5k in Bryce Canyon Dave!! And yeah, that is a lot longer to swim!!!