Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Some Sad News :(

Yesterday I went to the doctor for a 23 week checkup, and we learned that about 2 weeks ago our little baby stopped growing and no longer had a heartbeat. It was a total surprise, and there was no way to know since I've felt great and haven't had any bleeding or anything. We are so sad right now, but we'll make it through. We're grateful we have each other, supportive family and friends, and the gospel.

We went to the doctor again today to confirm that we lost our baby and to discuss what to do from here. On Friday, I have to go into the hospital and get induced to deliver her, since I was so far along. After 12-24 hours, I'll deliver the baby and they'll try to see if there are any signs of birth defects or any clues to why it happened. Right now, they don't know of any. I should be able to go home sometime on Saturday.
Please just keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Baby Heidi,
We were so excited to have you be a part of our family. We are so sad we never got the chance to meet you. We love you!

24 comments:

Jamie said...

Prayers for you at this time. Its comforting to know that you will be able to meet her someday.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Laura and Dave. We will be thinking and praying for you guys!

Ale and Emily said...

I've been thinking about you guys all day! Let me know what I can do for you!

Carrie said...

We are so so sad for you and baby Heidi. Sending love your way. Good luck Friday.

Jaime said...

So so sorry, guys. You will be in our prayers.

Amanda said...

Dave and I are so so sad for you two. She must have been too perfect to come to earth. You're in our thoughts and prayers. We love you!

leslie cats said...

David and Laura
My heart aches for both of you.
I thank God everyday for such a sweet Daughter in Law and Son.
Our little Grandaughter Heidi will always be remembered.
Love Mom

Rebe said...

We're so sorry to hear the news. We are certainly praying for you. What a blessing to have the gospel. Hope everything goes smoothly for you on Friday.

Jennifer said...

Words can not express the sadness I feel for you guys. Sometimes it's hard to comprehend God's will, but you will see that little angel someday & our prayers & thoughts are with you. Please let me know if I can do anything for you!

Olsen Family said...

Dave and Laura,
I am so sorry. My heart aches for you. You will be in our prayers.

Jenny said...

We love you guys! We are very sad about the news. Hang in there.

Alixa said...

I am so sorry. There is nothing harder than losing a baby. I know words dont mean much right now, but you will get to meet her, some day. I love you and will keep you in my prayers. Keep Heavenly Father close, and you will make it through.

Josh and Kelly said...

Wow. I am so sorry about your loss. Can't say much except we love you guys and know you will get through all of this. Will definitely be thinking of and praying for you.

Amy said...

Laura and Dave,

So sorry for your news. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, especially on Friday. So happy the Gospel brings us peace and hope that you will get to raise Heidi someday.

Much Love,

Amy

Tiffany said...

Cute Laura, my heart is breaking for you. I am so sorry for your family's loss. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you. Best wishes during this difficult time.

Shaylee said...

Laura,

I am so sorry to hear this news. Know that you and Dave are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love ya!

Sheila said...

Laura, I am so sorry. This happened to me too, I wasn't as far along (14 weeks). I am so sorry. That is a hard thing to go through. I am crying for you because I know how you feel. You're in my prayers.

Mallory said...

I am so sorry Laura. I'll be thinking and praying for you guys. Sending lots of love your way.

Jenn said...

It's hard to believe, I'm sure especially for you. Erick and I will be thinking about you and praying for you. I hope that you can find some sort of closure and comfort from the Lord. God bless you. I hope Friday goes smoothly and quickly.
Love you.
Jenn

Anna said...

Thinking of you! I just realized you will go in Friday (not tomorrow like I said on the message). Please know I'm here! Really do love you guys!

Sharla Watkins said...

Laura and Dave,
My heart goes out to both of you right now. I am so sorry to hear this. La... I love you. I am so sorry to hear this. This makes me really sad. You are in my prayers.
Love you,
Sharla

Maines said...

Laura-

You do not know me, but I am a friend of Katie Olsen in your ward. Katie told me what happened and I cant help but comment on your blog. I recently lost my baby at 37 weeks. They do not know why he passed and I too had to go in to deliver him. There are NO words that make the ache feel better. It has been a few months since I went through this and I can say that it does get easier, but the ache is always there. I would be more than happy to talk with you or do anything for you. I have read a few books that helped and found some great people through the blogging world that are dealing with this and have been so supportive of me. You are in my thoughts and prayers. The only thing that has kept me going is remembering that our heavenly father promised that our Joy will be great. I just cant wait for that day! I have also realized that there is opposition in all things and if this hurts this bad, there has to be happiness to this extreme. My only regret is that I did not take many pictures. I was angry and didnt want them, but now I wished I had. There is an organization that the hospital can get in touch with for you, its called Now I lay me down to sleep. They have professional photographers come and it does not cost anything. Such a hard thing to go through. I am thinking of you. Please feel free to contact me.
Jaymie Maines
Jaymieolsen@yahoo.com
Markandjaymiemaines.blogspot.com

Kris and Megan said...

my goodness, i am so sorry laura. you are in my prayers, i was so hoping that's not what your blog post title was. i'm so bummed for you.

Nat-a-baby said...

Laura and Dave,
I agree with Mandy- your little Heidi must have been too pure a spirit to come into the world.I am iterested to know if any defects were found to understand why this happened. I am so sorry for you guys. I hope you can be strong and know that God has not neglected you!!! Love you guys!