Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Friday, June 25, 2010

Running for Heidi

On Saturday, there was a 5K called Running with Angels at Thanksgiving Point. It was to honor and remember any babies and children who are now angels, like Heidi. We signed up for it, along with Popcan and Dave's sister Liza. I didn't end up being able to do it, so Dave's mom did it in my place. Here are a few pictures from the event. There were quite a few participants, the most I've seen in a 5K. We are planning on making it an annual event, so we'll try to get more people to do it next year, and we want to make some shirts.




It was pretty funny reading the comments about the race. One lady said she started crying anytime someone passed her with a "In memory of..." shirt. (there were quite a few of them!) There was a hill at the end, and other people were comparing that to life's trials, and how sometimes there's bumps, but it's worth it at the end.
We feel like we've joined this world that we didn't know anything about before. Many people know about a loved one who has gone through similar heartache as we have. I don't feel like I even knew about this little club until a few months ago. I hope that I can be able to help others who are going through similar things. I also hope that if you haven't been here, you are grateful for your healthy kids. You don't know how many people would love to be in your spot!

2 comments:

Kris and Megan said...

oh my goodness, if we had still lived in utah i totally would have done that!! what a neat thing to do to remember all those little angels. love you laura!!

Amanda said...

Dave almost signed up for that race. I think he would have if he had made the early deadline. I'm glad you guys were able to participate! Ever since Heidi we've been even more grateful for Wes and Ev. It has definitely put things into perspective for us. Hope you're doing well and feeling good!