Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Friday, October 26, 2012

Number 3

We were excited to find out last week that Baby #3 is another little boy.  He and Brady will be so cute together growing up being little buddies.  My ultrasound was at the high risk place.  First, a tech does an ultrasound and then one of the Perinatologists comes in and does another, so it's very thorough and about 45 minutes.  Everything looks great so far and Woody (his fetal name) was right on track with his growth.  We are very happy about that!  I will go back for ultrasounds once a month to check growth and will start nonstress tests twice a week the last 2 months.

Just a funny thing I want to remember about the ultrasound: They tell you drink lots of water beforehand, so I did.  I was fine during the tech's ultrasound (except for maybe when she was pushing down and trying to get Woody to move because the cord was right between his legs and she couldn't tell his gender.)  We waited about 10 minutes for the Doctor to come in, and by that time I was just dying.  I kept telling Dave she had better hurry because my bladder wasn't going to hold much longer.  She started the ultrasound and right away she said, "Wow, you have a very full bladder!  There is more fluid in there than there is amniotic fluid.  It's making it hard to see the baby."  So, she let me run to the bathroom.  I felt much better after that.

I started feeling Woody move about 16 weeks, which is a feeling that I love.  It is very reassuring.  While I am still feeling anxious with this pregnancy, it has not consumed me like it did with Brady.  I use my fetal doppler lots and am trying my best to stay sane.  I'm glad that this time I KNOW that my body can go full term and deliver a healthy (and very cute) baby.

While I'm not disappointed about having another boy, my heart still aches for a little girl to dress up and take care of.  I have told Dave that we are not done having kids until we get a girl.  Being pregnant makes me miss Heidi quite a bit, especially right now in the pregnancy. At this point, I only had 3 more weeks with her.  I feel bad that I didn't appreciate my time with her like I should have.  I wish I would have written down all the times I felt her move and more about how excited I was for her to come.  While we want this little boy and are grateful to be pregnant, it just isn't fun and exciting like it's supposed to be anymore.  Losing a baby zaps that right from you pretty quick.  

There's an update on the pregnancy so far.  We're saying lots of prayers for this little one and are glad to have made it this far without any problems!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Glad things are going well with your pregnancy so far. That will be so fun for Brady to have a little brother close in age!

Kris and Megan said...

loved the update :) I think all of your feelings are totally legitimate. I hope one day you get a girl too, but in the meantime, you have some wonderful things to look forward to with Brady and baby brother! They will be the best little buds!!

Jenni said...

Hooray, so happy for you!!! It's so much fun having boys back to back! Good luck for a great rest-of-pregnancy! ;)