Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quiet Book, Part 1

My friend Megan and I talked about making a quiet book for our boys and we knew it would be a lot of work.  We thought it would be fun to do it with friends, so we rounded up a group to make them with.  We've met a couple of times to work on them.  Two of the times we have met, each person has brought the supplies for everyone to make a page that they have chosen out.  We swap all the pieces and try to get as much done as we can.  What we don't finish that night (which is nearly everything!) we work on at home.  This has been a lot of work, but so fun.  I know Brady (and our future kids) will love playing with it, although they probably won't appreciate all the hours I've put into it.  I'm proud of what I've done so far with it, so I wanted to show it off! 
Dog Page-It has a real collar and leash buckle to practice fastening things.  This is the first page I brought to swap, and it is my favorite of them all!  The dog has on Shelly's old tag.
Apple Picking page-The apples snap on and off so you can put them into the basket.
Tic-Tac-Toe page-The X's and O's are made out of foam
Fish Tank page-For young kids to match colors
Counting Page-Beads go from 1 to 10
Puzzle Page-There are three different puzzles to put together
Coloring Page-Simple and easy to replace the notebook and crayons
Mitten Page-kids can slide hands into the mittens
Camping Page-zip open the tent, and there's a bear!
Mail Page-the flag goes up and down and there are fun letters inside the 4 envelopes
Brush Your Teeth page-The water is ribbons, there's a mirror above the sink and you can take out the toothbrush and pretend to put toothpaste on it (the toothpaste even crinkles!)



Barn Page-all the animals are finger puppets

What do you think?  What's your favorite page so far?  We will meet one more time to swap pages, so I will have about 18 in the end.































9 comments:

Rebe said...

Love this! It looks like tons of work. Hopefully I can make one as cute as yours. I'll call you sometime for details.

Barbara said...

Wow! That looks great. Maybe I'll try to make one for Addy. Notice I used the word "try."

Shaylee said...

Holy crap! That looks amazing. Now I really want to do one. . .did you find patterns to follow?

Alixa said...

So cute!

Kris and Megan said...

LOVE IT! how amazing! wish i wasn't so terrified by it or i'd make two for my boys!

Amy said...

This is sooo cute, La!

sara said...

this is so cute! i've always wanted to make a quiet book. what a fun idea to swap and share supplies. you're inspiring me!

Natalie and Ryan said...

Cute book Laura, I like the last one the best. I love the farm animals, but I am favored toward animals.

Josh and Kelly said...

These are all so cute but man, that does look like a lot of work!! I think the barn one is my favorite.