Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Friday, February 17, 2012

It All Makes Sense Now!!!

Have any of you had one those moments in life where it feels like a piece of the puzzle just landed it place?  To us, one of those moments happened Thursday. 

A little background of what I am about to speak of.  For those of you that have followed our blog for the last couple years know that Brady was supposed to be named Arlo Jackson.  Many of you voted in favor of this name, but a four year old promise that we made to a waiter named Brady at Macaroni Grill prevented him from receiving his rightful name.  I, Dave, first heard the name Arlo when I heard a folk song from a man named Arlo Guthrie.  The song was an 18 minute long masterpiece called Alice's Restaurant. 

Fast forward to Thursday when the Cates family went to the Holladay Library to get a book.  Laura decided to get a few CD's that her and Brady could listen to.  Once of those CD's was from a man named Woody Guthrie.  Now I had never heard of this man, but Laura knew who he was.  Woody is one of the greats in American folk music.  Many of you will recognize the song, "This Land is Your Land."  Well, the father of the most famous Arlo of all time wrote this song, Woody Guthrie.

The album is called Woody Guthrie, Songs To Grow on For Mother and Child. With titles to songs such as, Grassy Grass Grass (Grow Grow Grow) and I Want my Milk and I Want it Know we thought, how could we go wrong?  I put a few of our favorites below:  Hope you enjoy them.

PS. you only need to listen to 30 seconds of each. I couldn't make it through the whole thing. 

Grassy Grass Grass

Bling Blang

 Why, Oh Why


2 comments:

Beck and the boys said...

Only a Melville could find such a musical treat- the rhyme and simplicity of the lyrics remind me of a certain opera I once heard:

"Little Boy Blue, he sat in some poo, and got it stuck onto his bottom! He told his folks, and they awoke, and that is the end of the story!"

Jenny said...

It is all coming full circle....