Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Sunday, September 12, 2010

A little Sigh of Relief

Well, I finally made it past 23 weeks. I'm 24 weeks tomorrow. I'm certainly not just going to start feeling better, but I hope that I can start breathing a little easier. Arlo (remember, just a fetal name!) is really active and I'm feeling him move quite a bit throughout the day. I love feeling him, and it is so reassuring when I do. I think if he kept me up all night, I wouldn't even care! It really gives me such a peace of mind to know that he is in there moving around. There was one day this week where I didn't feel him for about 24 hours, so of course, I convinced myself something was wrong. The next day, he was just moving all around like usual. I asked Dave why he is already trying to push my buttons, and Dave said it was because he is his son. That's exactly what I'm worried about! Can I handle 2 of Dave?

I still need a few more weeks before I will be ready to start planning and looking for things. There's been a few nights we've talked about going to look for things, but I just haven't felt ready yet. People ask if we have a name or anything, but I really just need to get a few more weeks out of the way before I think I'll feel comfortable really making plans for our baby boy. It's good to know that he is now to the viable age, so if they do see a problem, they can do something about it. I really hope these next 3 months go by quickly!

I am really grateful to have the doctor I have. His wife had a late miscarriage, so he has been on the emotional side of a pregnancy after a loss with her. He has had me come in once a week for the past 3 weeks because he knows this time is especially hard. It's really nice that he is acknowledging my feelings as being totally normal and not just telling me "Everything will be fine" like a lot of other people have. When Dave is not with me at my appointment, he asks about him and talks about how it's just as hard on him, even though he doesn't show it the same way I do. I don't think that I could ask for a better, more understanding doctor than him.

Thank you to everyone who continues to pray for us! I know our names are put on the temple prayer rolls often and in daily prayers, and we really do appreciate it!

3 comments:

Rebe said...

Whew! I am so happy for you both. Go Arlo! How is your huge class going?

Kris and Megan said...

I can see how you'd feel a little relief, but not at the same time... I'm so glad Arlo is kicking away again. The day we talked on the phone I actually noticed my little boy wasn't moving very much either and started getting worried. Sure enough the next day he was back to his acrobats. Why do they have to do that to scare us?? And your comment about handling 2 Daves was hilarious. :)

Kalynne said...

Laura! I am so glad I found your blog! I've just been reading through your posts and bawling my eyes out. I am sorry about your loss of Heidi. What a strong woman you are and what great faith you have.