Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Road to Hana


The next day of our trip, we drove the road to Hana. It is a 60 mile, twisting and turning road through a rain forest. It is a pretty drive, but can be a little scary at times. There are tons of places on it that only one side of traffic can be on the road. There are places all along the way to stop and look at. One of our first stops was at a waterfall that fell into a pool. We swam in there, and it was so refreshing. We stopped at some look outs and to buy some banana bread at a stand. The guy told us that we could go look at his gardens where he grew lots of tropical fruits. He told us to touch the banana trees, because they are 90% water and are super soft.
We also stopped at a black sand (really black rock!) beach. They have some caves you can wander through. We tried to boogie board, but the waves were way too rough! I had black rocks all up and down my swimming suit. So instead, we just sat on the beach on the boards and watched the waves! We watched a crab for a while. He blended in so well to the rocks. I think we were the only ones who saw him, even though there were lots of people around. The last main stop is the Seven Sacred Pools. It is a series of waterfalls feeding into pools that you can swim in. We had fun there jumping off rocks and playing by the waterfalls. On the way back, we walked through a bamboo forest which was pretty cool. Did you know bamboo can grow a foot a day?
Dave was being really funny on the way back, driving like a maniac and making boy sounds. You probably won't think it's as funny as I do, but I thought he was being hilarious! This is why I haven't stopped laughing since I've been married! Dave's favorite phrase while we were driving was "Mahalo Sucka!"

4 comments:

annieandjustin said...

i think dave liked that convertible! i have heard of the road to hana. it looks like tons of fun. that water looks nice to jump in especially in this 100 degree weather!

Rebe said...

Your pictures look like you have just substituted Dave in for the sisters!

Kris and Megan said...

you guys are so funny together. i'm glad he still makes you laugh! haha when can we come visit you guys? hope hawaii was great!!!!!

Josh and Kelly said...

Looks like you guys are having a fun summer! I would be laughing at Dave too. And Dave, I'm with you on the being scared of the snorkeling thing! Guess I'll have to adjust since we're moving to the Caribbean!