Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mount Olympus Hike

On Saturday, me, Dave, and a girl he works with (her husband was supposed to come, but woke up with a migraine) hiked up to the top of Mount Olympus. We started hiking at about 7:15 in the morning, which was a good time to start because the sun didn't shine on the mountain for a few hours. It's a 3.1 mile hike up to the top, but the elevation increase is 4,800 feet. So, pretty much it's very steep the whole time. The whole trail has fairly large rocks on it, so the way up was pretty hard, since it felt like you were skipping 2 stairs the whole time. Dave was like super hiker on the way up, and had no complaints about any body parts. Brooke and I were both feeling the burn though! It's about 2 1/2 hours to the summit, where you can look and see the other mountain ranges in the back. It was a really pretty view. But, to actually get to the peak, it was another 30 minutes of complete bouldering (which is a new verb to me, but pretty self explanatory).
The bouldering was a little scary at times, but fun. It was also nice that it worked different body parts. It was a great view when we got to the top, and you could see from the north end of Salt Lake to Lehi.
We spent some time up at the top. It's funny, they have a mailbox that has a notebook in it, so you can write a little message in it. We left our mark in it.
After we gave our legs a nice break, we began the descent. The bouldering part was scarier going down then it was up, and a lot of the time we just sat and slid down the rock like a slide. The rest of the way down wasn't any better. Because it was so rocky, you couldn't just cruise down, like you usually can on a hike. It actually felt longer than the way up! It was not very fun, and it was hot by then! Overall it was a good experience, and now we can say we did it, and don't have to again! By the time we got down, it was almost 7 hours! Much longer than we had anticipated!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I've been on the top of that same mountain! And, we hiked a watermelon to the top...I don't think I've ever had such good watermelon!
BTW, Maxamillion died when we lived in Provo...the 3 we have now are from our yard in Provo...sadly, I think they are dead too. I think I'm cursed!

cameo said...

Sounds fun!... Kind of. I really want to go on some hikes this summer, so give us a call whenever you want to or are already going!

Nat-a-baby said...

So good to see you guys last night. That was a way fun, enexpected surprise. If you were wondering- no we didn't go running. Joe went right to bed, but I had energy till 1:00 to just do random stuff. Tell Dave he forgot to take a picture of himself flexing on top of the Olympus mountain!

Jenny said...

Wow, I'm impressed. You'll have to come to Colorado and hike some fourteeners, it sounds like you're up to it.