Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Catch Up



This is just going to have a bunch of random things that have been happening to us lately.
First, one month ago was our two year anniversary! Which means, exactly two years ago we ate the top layer of our wedding cake. Who wants to eat a freezer burned cake after 1 year, when your cake was super yummy? We tell people to eat it on your 1 month anniversary, like we did.
We didn't do too much for it because I was out of town, but we went out to dinner at Cafe Trio that weekend. I got a new pair of running shoes, and we bought Dave a checkered short outfit. It's hard to believe it's been 2 years already! I love my husband!
Here's us eating outside at the restaurant:

Trip to San Juan
I went a few weeks ago with my principal, literacy specialist, Title 1 specialist and a 5th grade teacher down to San Juan County. We went down to see their schools down there, because they have a lot of good things going on. My principal had been down with a group a few weeks before, and was really impressed with what she saw, and she wanted to show some of us at our school. I don't know why I was chosen, but it was a great opportunity. I already feel like a better teacher because of what I saw down there. It was about 6 1/2 hours away, down to the 4 corners area. We spent a day in a lot of different classrooms, went and bought jewelry from the Navajos and went to Monument Valley. I had never been to that part of the state, but I really enjoyed it.

Courtney's Wedding
My friend Courtney got married on May 29th in the Salt Lake Temple. I was able to go to it. It was a lot of fun. I love weddings and seeing how happy the couple is!

Mitchell Visit
Carrie, Ryan, and Jace came out for a visit last week. It was fun to be able to spend some time with them, since we don't see them very often. We had a birthday party for Jace. He's getting really cute! We also got to show off our new home to them, which is fun! (pictures coming soon....)

Last week of school
The last week always has some fun things going on. We had a water party, with a bouncy slide and firemen with their big hose, a day at Hollywood Connection for the kids that have done a good job with their behavior all year, lots of assemblies, field day, and pretty much no work, since grades were already due! I liked my class better this year, so I was surprised that I didn't cry and I bawled last year. Maybe it's because I will have half of them again next year! I didn't tell them I was teaching 4th grade, I just said that some of them would be surprised who their teacher was next year!

3 comments:

Kris and Megan said...

I'm glad you liked your class so much better this year Laura! You deserve it especially after your tough first year!! I still want to come up and visit you guys sometime- Next weekend we are going to CO to see Ashley, you probably remember her from the Colony but she was my freshmen roommate. Anyway maybe after that?? And congrats on 2 years!!!! Doesn't it go by so fast?!

Rebe said...

Looks like you guys have been busy! Wahoo for being done with school. The pictures of your class made me laugh- all kids are the same with the silly faces, etc. We are still waiting for pictures of your house!

Amy said...

Four corners is so fun! I went as a kid. I'm glad you got a chance to go. What are you doing for the summer now that school is out?