Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tanman

I have been meaning to do an update on our new little guy for months, but am still trying to figure out how to balance my time with 2 kids in the house.  So, here are some things about his first three months (time sure does go quick once they are here!)
  • Tanner is pretty mellow most of the time.  The first month and a half or so, he wanted to be held constantly.  As he's getting older, he does better at laying on the play mat or sitting in the Bumbo by himself.  He never really had an evening crying time, but he was a little bit fussy his first six weeks because his poor tummy was always rumbling.
  • He is already a pretty strong boy and does well with tummy time.  He has been rolling over for about a month, but only can if his arms are in the right position.  

He likes to stand up on your lap and look around.

  • He is sleeping great!  He has been sleeping all night long for the past 2 weeks.  He took a 4 1/2 hour nap this afternoon!  I can take him out in the mornings and he will usually just sleep in his carseat the whole time.  I am hoping he will continue to do this because we usually try to get out and do something everyday.

  • As a newborn, he loved sleeping on the Boppy with his legs tucked underneath him.


  • He definitely has his own look.  His eyes have stayed dark and have some brown in them.  People comment on how he looks a lot darker than Brady with his hair and skin color.  He also has really chubby cheeks.
  • Tanner, 1 month
    Brady, 1 Month
  • He is a big boy.  At 2 months, he was 13 lbs, 7 oz. putting him above the 95th percentile.

  • He is a little more serious than Brady and you have to work a little bit harder to get him to smile.  He didn't smile until 2 months, but he seems to be smiling more and more as he gets older.


  • He puts up with A LOT from Brady.  Poor little guy.  Brady is always on top of him and poking him (it was right in the eye for a few weeks).  I don't feel like there is anywhere I can leave him, even for a minute, if Brady is around.  I often lock the door to our bedroom while he naps so Brady can't run in there and yell "He's awake!" (regardless of if he is awake or not).  But, Brady really does like him and I hope they can grow up being little buddies.



  • We don't go through near the diapers we did with Brady, but beware! He only poops once a day, so there's a lot coming out when he does.  He has a blowout that gets on his clothes several days a week.  He usually poops when he sits in the Bumbo, so I've been trying to undo his onsies so he is just sitting in his diaper.

  • He's a thumb sucker! 

  • We had to put him on Zantac because he had a little bit of acid reflux and was doing the arching back thing.  It definitely helps and he spits up a lot more if we forget to give it to him.

  • He should have lots of little buddies his age.  I had about 5 close friends have babies within a few weeks of Tanner.
  • Tanner and Maylee
    We love having this little guy around!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

SO CUTE !! Grace is the same way with Maggie-I found her in the crib with maggie one day - needless to say I have been putting the child proofing door things on the outside of maggies room- it keeps grace out !! Good luck

Rebe said...

Tanner looks totally different than Brady did! One of those pictures he looks like a mini Dave. Hopefully we can see him soon!

Beck and the boys said...

He is such a cute little guy. It is nice having boys together that can (eventually) entertain each other. Interesting coincidence...Grayson was 13 lb 7 oz at his 2 month check up too.

Carrie said...

What a cutie. Love that one of him in the bumbo.

Kris and Megan said...

he is so handsome! I love the update! you guys have the cutest boys!! are you going to be around the week of the fourth of july??? because we're coming up there! we'd love to get together with you guys. I'll call you soon.

Jenni said...

He's getting so big, what a cutie!!!

Amy said...

So sweet! I love reading all the updates about Tanner and loved seeing comparisons of him and Brady. You've got a couple cute boys on your hands! Glad you did the updates :)