I couldn't help but think about how life was that first year with her gone. It was not an uncommon sight to see us walking the neighborhood at midnight or me avoiding baby showers. I'm grateful for the passage of time and how it is able to help heal and make things easier, but it hasn't completely taken the pain away. Heidi will always have a piece of my heart. She was my first baby that I loved. I feel bad for Brady sometimes, the poor kid is probably so confused. We talk about his sister and his brother. His sister is buried and his brother is still in my tummy and he really has no idea what it means.
For Heidi's birthday this year, we decided to do a service project. The day before her birthday, we got some friends and family together to make tiny flannel diapers to donate to a hospital for the group Teeny Tears (www.teenytears.blogspot.com). These diapers are for babies who are stillborn and fit from sizes 18-32 weeks. The family gets 2 matching ones, one to put on their baby and one to keep. We are so grateful for our family members and friends who made the effort to come that night. We completely finished 70 diapers, but got a lot more cut out and had some leftover fabric. We will probably have around 120 total when we are all finished. We hope that those families that receive a set will appreciate having something to dress their baby in. We didn't have anything to put on Heidi after she was delivered and would have loved a cute little diaper.
| This was my favorite diaper. So sweet and tiny. |
We weren't able to make it to the cemetery until the day after her birthday. It was the first year there has been snow. We found her headstone surprisingly easy and Dave cleared the snow off. It was freezing cold since the sun was almost down so we didn't stay for long. We left some balloons, sang Happy Birthday, and tried to light the candles on a cupcake, but they kept being blown out by the wind, so we just decided to light them at home.
Brady loved blowing the candles out!
These tulips are from Lisa, a lady in my ward. She has been so sweet and has remembered Heidi's birthday every year. It means a lot to hear that she is being thought of and remembered and I have appreciated Lisa's thoughtfulness each year. It's always been my biggest fear that Heidi will be forgotten by most people and I still enjoy hearing her name spoken.


7 comments:
I feel like I wrote this post myself. Those are my exact thoughts and feelings about zach too. And the baby shower thing, I'm really good at coming up with excuses why I can't go.
Last night tagg's cousin's baby passed away. She was 2 days old and had some complications at birth, but it brought all those thought and feelings right back. I couldn't stop crying the whole night for their loss and for mine. I agree though, the tears are sometimes welcome. It keeps their memory alive.
For some reason I couldn't finish my above comment. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to celebrate your sweet little angel. She's a lucky little girl to have you as her mom.
The diapers turned out really sweet. I am sure those parents will appreciate something made with love.
What a sweet post. Your little angel is so blessed to have you as parents. What a wonderful idea to do in memory of her on her birthday. Those little diapers are so sweet!!!
Laura! I love your post. It is so sweet of you to make those diapers. I know the families that receive them will love them forever. I also wanted you to know that I think of you and your sweet Heidi every year on her B-day. She is not forgotten. I need to be better at letting you know.
very sweet!!! I am sorry I neglected to mention Heidi the other day when we texted, I knew it was this month but spaced it at the moment! Forgive me. What a sweet way to honor and remember her. The little diaper brought a tear to my eye when I think of others who will experience what you did. :( It will be a blessing to them to know that they're not alone in that loss and heartache as they read Heidi's name. Love you Laura!! Very excited for baby boy #2!
i loved this post. i think about you all the time & constantly ask Jackie how you are doing. those diapers are beautiful, and if i was ever in this situation i know that those little diapers would mean the world to me.
Post a Comment