Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Story Behind the Name

A few people have asked me how we came up with the name Brady. There is a story with it, so I thought I would write about it here.

To begin our story, flash back 4 1/2 years. I am a student teacher at BYU and Dave is a bank teller and going to school for his 1 and only semester at the U. We were young and falling in love, driving back and forth from Salt Lake to Provo almost everyday.We met at the Macaroni Grill for dinner one night. We have a waiter and his name was....Brady! For some reason Dave, who enjoys making people feel as awkward as possible, tells Brady that we would name our first born son after him.


Now go forward 4 years. I am 7 months pregnant. Our baby is currently known as Arlo. We had talked about other names, but we just didn't find one we both liked. One night, while having pillow talk, we had a conversation that went like this:
Dave: Hey, weren't we supposed to name our first born son Brady?
Laura: Oh ya, we were.
Dave: Do you like the name?
Laura: Yes, do you?
Dave: Ya.

And Brady is the name we stuck with! True to the promise we made to our waiter of over 4 years ago.

(Luckily, it seems like the name Arlo hasn't stuck like I was worried about, although about 2 weeks ago, it totally came out of my mouth without even thinking!)

7 comments:

Kris and Megan said...

That is a GREAT story!!! I love it! That cracks me up, after the waiter. Too bad you can't go back to the waiter and tell him you named your firstborn after him after all!! haha. I need to call you, it's been too long and we should catch up. Hope you're all doing well and enjoying that cute little Brady!

Josh and Kelly said...

This is exactly why I LOVE you and Dave. Greatest story ever.

annieandjustin said...

Thats so funny. Cute name for a very cute baby. I love that picture of him. It is too precious!

Amy said...

What a cute story! I love it. He is so precious and I'm so happy for all three of you :)

Emily said...

Brady looks like he is trying out for Lancelles!

cameo said...

Ha ha, great story. I didn't know that. Love it. And that is such a cute picture of Arlo, I mean Brady, too. ;)

Megan said...

How funny. You never told me that story! Brady is so stinking cute! I want one!