Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Sunday, December 5, 2010

10 months

10 months ago today, Dave and I walked hand in hand into the Labor and Delivery section of the hospital. We were led by a nurse into a room that was apart from the other patients. After 16 hours, our sweet baby girl was born sleeping. We had just a few hours to try and fill a lifetime of loving her. She was so beautiful and we felt surprising peaceful while we were holding her.

It's been a hard and emotional past 10 months, and in just about a week and a half, we will walk into the same hospital to deliver a baby boy. I know that we're blessed to be having him join our family so soon, but as it is getting closer and closer, I find myself missing Heidi more and more. I know our son will bring us happiness and fill some of the longing that we've had for our baby, but I think it will be emotionally hard, too. It'll be impossible not to think what we missed out on with Heidi. It's been hard for me when people think that he is replacing Heidi. I feel like she is just as much our child as he will be, even though she is not here with us.

I like to think that they would have been so close in age and in the same primary class. I hope they would have been good friends. I think Heidi's been watching over him and will make sure that he makes it to us safely. I love both of my babies, and just wish so badly I could have them both here with us in our family.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

a week and a half! Dang girl! Good luck.
I'm sure it's been hard dealing with all the emotions that you've been having...I'm amazed by your ability to remain positive and just keep going. I look up to you so much!
Hope all is well with little Arlo's birth!

Amy said...

Aww. You gave me goosebumps. I'm sure Heidi is happy that you will never forget her. And I like the thought of her getting Arlo ready to come down and join your family :) best wishes in the coming weeks, whenever he decides to come!

Megan said...

oh my goodness I can't believe how soon little Arlo is coming! I can't wait to meet him!!!!

Kris and Megan said...

Baby boy will never replace your sweet Heidi, but I hope his arrival and the joy of having a new baby will help ease the pain of losing her. Just think, this baby will probably be the one who is the closest to Heidi that you'll ever have- They've probably been together in heaven as good little friends and now he can come be with you and help you feel close to her.