Background

The Cates Family

The stories of Dave, Laura, Brady, and our angel Heidi

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Tanner at 6+ Months

 Been working on this for a while--Tanner is growing up so fast!  He has already been here half a year.  Here are some things about Tanner that I want to remember about him at  6  7 months:

  • At his 6 month appointment, he weighed 18 lbs, 11 oz. (75%) and was close to the same percentile for his height.  
  • He is moving like crazy! He could full-out crawl at 5 1/2 months, before he was even able to sit up.  
  • Once he hit 6 months and could sit up, he could push himself to sitting. He had been trying to do it for a few weeks before from a crawl position, but wasn't quite sturdy enough.  When I told his pediatrician he could push himself to sitting, she said it wasn't even on her checklist of things the might be able to do by 6 months!
  • He is now pulling himself up to standing and is doing it on everything he can.  I am going to have my hands full very soon!  Already getting in to the dishwasher...
  • If he keeps this progress up with his mobility, he will walk at 9 months.  Oh boy!
  • He has had his 2 bottom teeth since 5 months.  He tried biting me a few times while I was nursing him, but a few cheek flicks made him stop.  He has 6 (I'm pretty sure) teeth just waiting to pop through right now.  He's been a little crankier than usual the past week or so.
  • He hates loud noises like the vacuum, hand dryers, and toilets in public restrooms.  He gets the saddest pouty look on his face then starts screaming.
  • He is still a little serious, but we've been able to get him to laugh a little more.  He likes to be tickled on the changing table and being lifted up into the air.
  • He loves to eat.  Sometimes when you are feeding him and there is not food in his mouth, he starts screaming.  It stops as soon as that spoon goes back in.
  • He is a great on-the-go sleeper and will still take pretty good naps in his carseat.  It's nice on the days that we are going out, but when we're home, he has a hard time falling asleep for naps.  I usually just have to let him cry because he won't let me cuddle or rock him.  He occasionally gets a long nap in but his naps are often only 40 minutes. 
  • Since we only have 2 bedrooms, Tanner's crib is in our room.  As soon as I can trust Brady, they will share a room, but I definitely can't right now.  Some nights he wakes up when we are getting ready for bed, even though we are trying to be as quiet as possible.  He still wakes up and eats one time during the night, although I think if he was in his own room he would probably sleep all night.  It's getting a little challenging, but we really don't have another option right now.
  • He loves water.  He starts getting really excited when he sees his bath running.  When we gave him his first sitting up bath he splashed the entire time and had a huge grin on his face.
  • He is growing up so so fast!  Someone guessed that he was 11 months at the store yesterday.  Look how big he looks with his cute little hoodie on:
  • Tanner's nicknames are Tanman, Tiny Tan, and Tan Tan.
  • I still don't think he looks anything like Brady.  We're waiting to see if he has curly hair like his brother!
  • Tanner really likes Brady and he can make him laugh easily.  However, he has become more of a threat to Brady now that he can get around to toys he wants.  Tanner is smart and goes for the ones that Brady doesn't want him to have.  While it is getting better (thank goodness!), Brady was being very mean to him to the point I was scared that he was going to really hurt him.  I intercepted a knife and a glass cup about to be thrown, and he would push Tanner down while he was sitting so he would hit the back of his head several times a day, and plenty of other things. We started a "Nice Tracker" for Brady where he gets stars if he's nice, and loses them if he's mean.  When he earns 10 stars he gets a prize.  It's been working pretty well and I'm not scared for Tanner's life anymore.
  • We love this cute kid so much and are so glad he is part of our family!  

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I cannot tell if he looks more like you or Dave. Hope he gets curly hair like you and Brady though!

Josh and Kelly said...

Man that is one mobile little dude!! You're right, he doesn't really like Brady, but they sure are both cute!